We are nearing the end of the growing season but there are still lots of jobs to do in the garden – harvesting crops and preparing for next year. The 10 top jobs for September are:-
– Lifting and dividing herbaceous perennials. They can be replanted somewhere else in your own garden or given away to neighbours and friends. Plants for free!
– Picking autumn fruiting raspberries;
– Collecting. storing and sowing seed from perennial and hardy annual flowering plants;
– Digging up remaining potatoes before slug damage spoils them. They can be stored in hessian sacks in a dark, cool garage or shed for use over the winter;
– Netting ponds before leaf fall gets underway;
– Keeping up with watering of new plants, using rain or grey water if possible;
– Starting to reduce the frequency of houseplant watering;
– Lawns should be given some TLC by scarifying with a rake, aerating it with a garden fork and feeding it with an autumn lawn fertiliser to see it through the winter;
– Covering leafy vegetable crops with bird-proof netting;
– Planting spring flowering bulbs.